You have in all probability heard about nanotechnology, but might have almost no idea as to what it’s all about and just how it pertains to you. Nanotechnology can make life easier for all of us; it’s not simply the stuff of science fiction. Basically, nanotechnology is the science of dealing with matter on an atomic scale.
The practical side of nanotechnology
As an example, Science Daily ran a feature story about scientists creating a way to use nanotechnology to lessen the amount of friction in car engines and machines. If this technology becomes commonplace, it can help extend the lives of machines and engines and help them operate more effectively. According to the Science Daily story, a team of scientists developed tiny polymer particles that were distributed in automobile engine base oils. When tested under conditions that simulated those found in car engines, these tiny particles were found to have an extraordinary capacity to reduce friction.
More efficient motors
Even when dispersed at low concentrations they decreased friction considerably, much more so then the friction additives currently being utilized in many industries today. How much more do they lessen friction? By about 55 percent more! Nanotechnology is a expanding industry so expect more breakthroughs like this. In fact it is growing so quickly that the United States recently launched a national strategy to be certain that environmental, health, and safety research requirements are addressed in the field.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
If you think, then, that nanotechnology is only good for Hollywood special effects blockbusters; just take a close look at your car’s engine. One day, nanotechnology may leave you with an engine that consumes less gas. That, of course, can give you a fatter wallet, and you’ll be able to thank nanotechnology for this.
Introduction to Wi-Fi Security from The PCA Group
About The PCA GroupA long-time technology leader in the Buffalo, New York area, The PCA Group has been serving customers like you since 1989. We work with small-, mid- and large-sized organizations in all industries.
- 05/23/2013 Living Social hack exposes dangers of using one password at multiple sites
- 05/22/2013 Watch out for these bad tech habits
- 05/14/2013 Can you guess which mobile device is hacked most often?
- 05/09/2013 Do your research before buying a new monitor
- 05/08/2013 Don’t think a passcode protects your phone from skilled hackers
- 05/02/2013 Strained eyes too common an occurrence at work
- 05/01/2013 These apps make sharing your screen on a tablet a breeze
- 04/26/2013 Simple steps to protect your privacy
- 04/24/2013 Google Reader is dead. Are other free Web services next?
- 04/17/2013 Why you need to use two-factor authentication
The PCA Group